There are FOUR different options for Mass Readings on the Feast of Christmas! As it depends on the Mass you attend (and the preference of the presider) I will limit my reflection to the Gospel readings.
Vigil Mass – Matthew 1:1-25
- The Genealogy of Jesus Christ, with fourteen generations between Abraham to David, fourteen generations between David to the Babylonian exile, and fourteen generations between the Babylonian exile to Christ.
- The passage concludes with the angel’s message in Joseph’s dream to welcome Mary into his home.
Mass at Midnight – Luke 2:1-14
- Joseph brings Mary to Bethlehem for the census, and there Mary gives birth to Jesus and lays him in swaddling clothes in a manger.
- The angels proclaim a message of hope to the shepherds nearby, singing “Glory to God in the highest!”
Mass at Dawn – Luke 2:15-20
- The shepherds go to Bethlehem and find the baby Jesus in the manger.
- The message of the angels is made known to Mary and Joseph, and the shepherds return home praising God.
Mass during the Day – John 1:1-18
- The Prologue of John’s Gospel reveals that Jesus is the Word of God who became flesh and came into our world, shining with a light that the darkness can neither understand nor overcome.
- John the Baptist testifies that Jesus is the Son of God.
Mass Readings – Christmas