Here are some of the main themes that surface in the readings for this 18th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Exodus 16:2-4,12-15
- The people are hungry in the wilderness, and they are now grumbling against Moses and Aaron.
- God instructs Moses to prepare the people to receive quail and manna.
Psalm – 78:2-4,23-25,54
- “The Lord gave them bread from heaven.”
- The Psalmist recounts the miracle from the Book of Exodus, highlighting God’s abundant goodness.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 4:17,20-24
- The people are called to put away the corruption and deceit of their former way of life.
- They seek God’s way in righteousness and truth as they put on the new self in Christ.
Gospel – John 6:24-35
- Jesus responds to the questions of the people, including their request for a work of God that they can do.
- Jesus teaches them to believe in him – the one sent from God – and the Lord then states that he is the bread of life.
Mass Readings – 18th Sunday of the Year