Here are some of the main themes for the readings for the 25th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Amos 8:4-7
- The prophet Amos lists a number of ways that the needy have been harmed.
- The Lord will not forget the evil that people have done to those in need.
Psalm – 113:1-2,4-8
- “Praise the Lord who lifts up the poor.”
- The Lord, who is enthroned on high, raises the lowly.
2nd Reading – 1st Timothy 2:1-8
- Prayers and supplications are offered for those who are in authority.
- There is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, Jesus Christ.
Gospel – Luke 16:1-13
- Jesus offers a parable of a dishonest steward who shows initiative.
- The Lord offers a principle: those who are trustworthy in small matters will be trustworthy in great ones.