Here are some of the central themes in the readings for the 32nd Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Kings: 17:10-16
- Elijah asks for food from a widow and tells here not to be afraid; God will provide.
- The woman gives all that she has…and she has all that she needs for a year!
Psalm – 146:7-10
- “Praise the Lord, my soul!”
- The Lord protects those who are…hungry, captives, blind, bowed down, strangers, and widows.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 9:24-28
- The priesthood of Jesus Christ is compared and contrasted with the Levitical priesthood.
- Christ, as God on our behalf, offers a sacrifice that takes away our sins.
Gospel – Mark 12:38-44
- Jesus offers a warning on false teachers, then he contrasts the example of a poor widow.
- The widow gives all that she has, and in the sight of Heaven it is a greater gift than the surplus wealth of others.
Mass Readings – 32nd Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply