Let’s review some of the themes we find in the readings for the 30th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Jeremiah 31:7-9
- God’s power is revealed as the Lord delivers, gathers, consoles and leads the people.
- The people respond with joy, praise, exultation and hope.
Psalm – 126:1-6
- “The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy.”
- This psalm connects directly with the 1st reading as our human response to God’s goodness.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 5:1-6
- Christ was chosen by the Father to offer his life for us.
- Christ, because he understands our human weaknesses, deals with us patiently.
Gospel – Mark 10:46-52
- The blind man, Bartimaeus, calls out to Jesus and asks for help so he can see.
- Jesus acknowledges his faith and immediately heals him.
- Bartimaeus then follows Jesus on the way.