Here are some of the themes for the readings for the 3rd Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Isaiah 35:1-6a,10
- The earth will be renewed by the glory of the Lord.
- When God comes upon his people, the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame leap and the mute sing.
Psalm – 146:6-10
- “Lord, come and save us.”
- The Lord God nurtures, heals and supports his people.
2nd Reading – James 5:7-10
- Like a farmer tending the soil, we must be patient for the Lord.
- We stand firm without complaint, for the Just Judge is near.
Gospel – Matthew 11:2-11
- From prison, John the Baptist sends disciples to Jesus if he is the one who is to come.
- Christ responds with the fulfillment of Isaiah 35, and affirms that John is the greatest of all the prophets.