Here are some of the key themes that we see in the readings for the 4th Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Micah 5:2-5a
- Bethlehem is prophesied as the birthplace of the Messiah.
- The one to be born will stand firm and shepherd the flock, drawing strength from God and bringing peace to the ends of the earth.
Psalm – 80:2-3,15-16,18-19
- “Lord, make us turn to you; let us see your face and we shall be saved.”
- We call upon God for help, protection and salvation.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 10:5-10
- Christ offers the sacrifice of his body for our sins.
- In carrying out the Father’s will he consecrates us to God.
Gospel – Luke 1:39-45
- Mary travels to meet Elizabeth, who is filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Elizabeth then proclaims that Mary is blessed to be the mother of the Lord.
Mass Readings – 4th Sunday of Advent