Here are some of the themes from the readings on this feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
1st Reading – Revelation 11:19a, 12:1-6a, 10ab
- The Church interprets the woman in this passage as Mary.
- The dragon is the enemy who attempts to destroy the woman and child.
- The voice of heaven proclaims God’s authority and kingdom have come through the son, born of the woman, who will rule all nations.
Psalm – 45:10-12,16
- “The queen stands at your right hand, arrayed in gold.”
- This psalm, when applied to Mary, reveals her majesty among all created things as queen.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 15:20-27
- The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ overturns the first sin of Adam.
- Christ will reign over all things, finally destroying death forever.
Gospel – Luke 1:39-56
- The first part of the passage describes the interaction between Mary and Elizabeth as their babies (from within the womb) leap for joy.
- The second part of the passage offers Mary’s great Magnificat of praise and thanksgiving to God.
Our Lady, Queen of Heaven…pray for us!