Here are some of the main themes that we find on the Feast of the Ascension of the Lord.
1st Reading – Acts 1:1-11
- The prologue (v. 1-5) serves as a transition between the Gospel of Luke and Acts, and introduces the coming of the Holy Spirit.
- The Lord then ascends into the sky, having promised the disciples the power of the Holy Spirit.
Psalm – 47:2-3,6-9
- “God mounts his throne to shouts of joy: a blare of trumpets for the Lord.”
- All people rejoice and give praise to God, the Most High and great king, who reigns over all the nations.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 1:17-23
- Christ, seated in glory at the right hand of the Father in heaven, reigns over all creation.
- As his disciples, we pray for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, that our hearts will be enlightened as we follow Christ.
Gospel – Matthew 28:16-20
- The Risen Lord greets the Eleven in Galilee; even though they have doubts, they worship Jesus.
- Christ gives them the Great Commission to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Mass Readings – The Ascension of the Lord
Leave a Reply