Here are some of the main themes that we find in the readings for the 2nd Sunday of Easter, also known as Divine Mercy Sunday.
1st Reading – Acts 2:42-47
- The disciples are living in community, eating and praying together as they share their resources to take care of one another.
- The apostles perform many signs and wonders, and the numbers of believers continue to grow.
Psalm – 118:2-4,13-15,22-24
- “Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love is everlasting.”
- God gives help and strength to those in need, renewing lives that have been rejected by others.
2nd Reading – 1st Peter 1:3-9
- Praise is given to God the Father who has saved us through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- We acknowledge our present sufferings and place our hope in the Lord as we journey toward eternal life.
Gospel – John 20:19-31
- The Risen Lord Jesus appears to the disciples on two occasions saying, “Peace be with you.”
- Thomas, absent at the first appearance, comes to believe and professes his faith in Christ.
Mass Readings – 2nd Sunday of Easter
Leave a Reply