Let’s explore some of the themes we discover in the Mass readings for the 5th Sunday of Lent.
1st Reading – Ezekiel 37:12-14
- The Lord calls the people to rise up from their graves and return to the land of Israel.
- God promises them the gift of his spirit that they will live.
Psalm – 130:1-8
- “With the Lord there is mercy and fullness of redemption.”
- Out of the depths we cry to the Lord, trusting in the Lord’s forgiveness and kindness.
2nd Reading – Romans 8:8-11
- We cannot please God if we remain in the flesh, but if the Spirit of God dwells in us, we are raised to life.
- If Christ is in us, then the spirit that raised Christ will also raise us up.
Gospel – John 11:1-45
- Jesus returns to Bethany to raise Lazarus who has been in the tomb for four days.
- Both sisters of Lazarus, Martha and Mary, reveal their faith in Jesus, and many more people come to believe as well.
Mass Readings – 5th Sunday of Lent
Leave a Reply