Here are some of the themes that we find in the Mass readings for the 3rd Sunday of Lent.
1st Reading – Exodus 17:3-7
- In their thirst for water, the people grumble against Moses.
- At the Lord’s command, Moses takes his staff and strikes a rock, from which water flows and the people are able to drink.
Psalm – 95:1-2,6-9
- “If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.”
- Unlike the Israelites who grumbled, we are exhorted to come before the Lord in joyful worship with thanksgiving.
2nd Reading – Romans 5:1-2,5-8
- Having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.
Gospel – John 4:5-42
- Jesus, sitting at a well in the town of Sychar in Samaria, encounters a woman and converses with her.
- Jesus announces that he is the Christ, and the woman tells others about Jesus…and they come to believe that he is the savior of the world.
Mass Readings – 3rd Sunday of Lent
Leave a Reply