Let’s explore some of the themes in the readings for the 5th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Isaiah 58:7-10
- The prophet exhorts the people to corporal works of mercy: sharing food; sheltering the homeless, clothing the naked, responding to the needs of others.
- The Lord responds to us when we care for others, and the Lord’s light shines upon us.
Psalm – 112:4-9
- “The just man is a light in darkness to the upright.”
- Light shines upon those who care for the needs of others.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 2:1-5
- Paul reminds the people that he came to them speaking of Christ crucified.
- He gave the message simply and without demonstrations of power, so that they would trust in God alone.
Gospel – Matthew 5:13-16
- Jesus teaches that we are salt and light, meant to use what we have been given for the good of others.
- When we let our light shine, we give glory to our heavenly Father.
Mass Readings – 5th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply