Here are some of the themes in the readings for the 3rd Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Isaiah 8:23-9:3
- The Gentiles who walked in darkness have seen a great light.
- The people have abundant joy, and the rod of their taskmasters has been broken.
Psalm – 27:1,4,13-14
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation.”
- The Lord’s strength gives us courage; we are no longer afraid.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 1:10-13,17
- Paul urges the people to be united in the same mind and the same purpose.
- Christ is the source of our unity, and all our efforts give glory to him.
Gospel – Matthew 4:12-23
- Jesus, preaching repentance, fulfills the words of Isaiah the prophet.
- The Lord calls Peter and Andrew, then James and John to follow him.
Mass Readings – 3rd Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply