Let’s explore some of the themes in the readings for the 2nd Sunday of the Year.
1st. Reading – Isaiah 49:3,5-6
- The people are brought back and gathered together, made glorious by God’s strength.
- They shall be a light to the nations, so that God’s salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.
Psalm – 40:2,4,7-10
- “Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.”
- We wait for the Lord, who strengthens us to offer our lives in service.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 1:1-3
- Paul introduces his letter stating that he is an apostle of Christ.
- He greets the people in the grace and peace of the Lord Jesus.
Gospel – John 1:29-34
- John the Baptist sees Jesus and says, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world.”
- John testifies that he has seen the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven upon the Lord.