Here are some of the themes for the readings for the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God.
1st Reading – Number 6:22-27
- The Lord directs Moses to speak to Aaron and his sons about how they are to bless the Israelites.
- This “Blessing of Aaron” is still used by the Church today!
Psalm – 67:2-3,5-8
- “May God bless us in his mercy.”
- We praise God and ask that the Lord have pity on us and bless us.
2nd Reading – Galatians 4:4-7
- In the fullness of time God sent his son, born of a woman, to ransom us so that we might have adoption.
- We call upon the Lord as “Abba, Father!” and are heirs of God.
Gospel – Luke 2:16-21
- This reading is also proclaimed at the Mass at Dawn on Christmas Day.
- Mary is at the center of the passage, reflecting in her heart what God has done.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us!