Let’s explore the themes in the readings for the 4th Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Isaiah 7:10-14
- Ahaz refuses to tempt the Lord and ask for a sign.
- The Lord, however, responds that “the virgin shall conceive and bear a son.”
Psalm – 24:1-6
- “Let the Lord enter; he is the king of glory.”
- The earth is the Lord’s, and those who are sinless shall receive a blessing from God.
2nd Reading – Romans 1:1-7
- St. Paul opens his great letter to the Romans in honor of Jesus Christ.
- Faith in God is now extended to the Gentiles as well.
Gospel – Matthew 1:18-24
- Joseph discovers that Mary is pregnant before they have lived together.
- The angel of the Lord comes to him in a dream and explains how she has conceived through the Holy Spirit.
- Joseph follows the angel’s counsel and takes his wife into his home.