Here are some of the themes that surface in the readings for the 1st Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Isaiah 2:1-5
- The mountain of the Lord shall be the highest mountain, and people shall come toward it.
- On this mountain will be peace among the nations.
Psalm – 122: 1-9
- “Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.”
- We rejoice and pray that Jerusalem is a city of peace and prosperity.
2nd Reading – Romans 13:11-14
- The hour is at hand to awake from sleep; salvation is at hand.
- We put on the Lord Jesus Christ, throwing off the works of darkness and putting on the armor of light.
Gospel – Matthew 24:37-44
- Referring to the time of Noah, Jesus urges the people to be ready for the coming of the Son of Man.
- Christ calls us to be prepared, for at an unexpected hour the Son of Man will come.