Here are some of the themes in the readings for the 30th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Sirach 35:12-14,16-18
- The Lord, a God of justice, hears the cry of the weak and the oppressed, the orphan and the widow.
- The prayer of the lowly reaches the Most High who judges justly and affirms what is right.
Psalm – 34:2-3,17-19,23
- “The Lord hears the cry of the poor.”
- God is close to the brokenhearted and rescues them from distress.
2nd Reading – 2nd Timothy 4:6-8,16-18
- Having kept the faith during a time of trial, the Lord gave strength to continue.
Gospel – Luke 18:9-14
- Two men went to pray, but only one was heard by God…a tax collector who acknowledged his sin and need for the Lord’s mercy.
- “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and who humbles himself will be exalted.”