Let’s explore some of the themes in the readings for the 24th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Exodus 32:7-11,13-14
- In Moses’ absence, the people have made a molten calf, offering worship and sacrifices.
- Moses implores God to spare the people and remember the covenant; God relents from punishing the people.
Psalm – 51:3-4,12-13,17,19
- “I will rise and go to my father.”
- We call upon the Lord for mercy, cleansing us from our guilt and creating a clean heart within us.
2nd Reading – 1st Timothy 1:12-17
- Once a blasphemer who was a persecutor and arrogant, now mercifully treated by God’s grace.
- The author reveals God’s goodness: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners!
Gospel – Luke 15:1-32
- Jesus offers three parables: a man with a hundred sheep; a woman with ten coins; the Prodigal Son.
- The Lord shows how heaven rejoices when we repent of our sins and turn back to God.
Mass Readings – 24th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply