Let’s take a look at some of the themes in the readings for the 23rd Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Wisdom 9:13-18b
- Our limitations often prevent us from knowing what the Lord intends.
- God does, however, give us wisdom and the holy spirit to instruct us.
Psalm – 90:3-6,12-17
- “In every age, O Lord, you have been our refuge.”
- We recognize our limitations and we call upon the Lord for help.
2nd Reading – Philemon 1:9-10,12-17
- Paul, now an old man, urges the proper care of Onesimus, a runaway slave.
Gospel – Luke 14:25-33
- Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Jesus cannot be his disciple.
- We renounce the power of possessions in our lives as we follow the Lord.