Here are some of the key themes that surface in the readings for the 22nd Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Sirach 3:17-18,20,28-29
- We find favor with God when we conduct our affairs with humility.
- Aware of our limitations, we cultivate wisdom and give alms.
Psalm – 68:4-7,10-11
- “God, in your goodness, you have made a home for the poor.”
- We rejoice in the Lord, who protects those in need.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 12:18-19,22-24a
- We approach God in Mount Zion, surrounded by angels and the assembly of heaven.
- Jesus is the mediator of the new covenant, made possible through his blood.
Gospel – Luke 14:1,7-14
- Jesus uses the opportunity at a banquet to teach about humility and care for others.
- “Everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”