Let’s take a look at the key themes in the Mass readings for the 20th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Jeremiah 38:4-6,8-10
- Jeremiah’s life hangs in the balance as he is thrown into a cistern for his preaching.
Psalm – 40:2-4,18
- “Lord, come to my aid!”
- We call upon the Lord for help in times of affliction.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 12:1-4
- Surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, we run our race with our eyes fixed on Jesus.
- Faith gives us strength to endure opposition and sin.
Gospel – Luke 12:49-53
- The Lord comes to set the earth on fire as he fulfills his mission on earth.
- The presence of Jesus brings a challenge and division that will touch all people.