Here are some of the main themes that surface in the readings for the 18th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Ecclesiastes 1:2; 2:21-23
- All things (apart from God) are vanity.
- Toil and labor (again, apart from God!) are of no use.
Psalm – 90:3-6,12-14,17
- “If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.”
- We call upon the Lord, who brings meaning and mercy to our lives.
2nd Reading – Colossians 3:1-5,9-11
- We have died and risen with Christ, and we turn away from to a new life in the Lord.
- In Christ there is no division within humanity; Christ is all and in all.
Gospel – Luke 12:13-21
- Jesus offers a parable that warns against the futility of greed.
- Instead, we are encouraged to become rich in what matters to God.
Mass Readings – 18th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply