Here are some of the key themes that surface in the readings for the 16th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Genesis 18:1-10a
- Abraham offers hospitality to three strangers with food that Sarah prepares.
- The strangers foretell that she will have a child within a year.
Psalm – 15:2-5
- “He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.”
- The fear of the Lord guides us to act in a holy and virtuous manner.
2nd Reading – Colossians 1:24-28
- Our suffering allows us to participate in the afflictions of Christ.
- When we unite our lives to the Lord, we draw strength from him.
Gospel – Luke 10:38-42
- Martha, burdened with much suffering, complains to Jesus about her sister, Mary.
- Jesus addresses Martha’s worries and tells her that Mary has chosen the better part.
Mass Readings – 16th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply