Here are some of the themes that we see in the readings for the 15th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Deuteronomy 30:10-14
- The Lord enjoins the people to keep the commandments and statutes set before them.
- These commands are not mysterious; rather, they are in their mouths and hearts…they only need to carry them out.
Psalm – 69:14,17,30-31,33-34,36-37 (Option #1)
- “Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.”
- The Lord hears the poor and afflicted who call upon God’s mercy.
Psalm – 19:8-11 (Option #2)
- “Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life.”
- The law of the Lord is perfect, giving wisdom and joy.
2nd Read – Colossians 1:15-20
- Christ is the image of the invisible God, the head of the body, the church.
- All things have been reconciled in Jesus, who makes peace through the blood of his cross.
Gospel – Luke 10:25-37
- Jesus affirms the teaching of loving God and neighbor.
- When asked, “Who is my neighbor?” the Lord responds with the parable of the Good Samaritan.