Here are some of the central themes that we find in the readings for the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ.
1st Reading – Genesis 14:18-20
- Melchizedek the king of Salem offers a blessing to Abram along with a gift of bread and wine.
- Abram gives a tenth of his possessions to the king.
Psalm – 110:1-4
- “You are a priest forever, in the line of Melchizedek.”
- The Lord reveals his power and appoints his priest.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 11:23-26
- Paul recounts the Last Supper to the people at Corinth as it was told to him.
- Whenever we eat this bread and drink this cup we proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
Gospel – Luke 9:11b-17
- After teaching and healing the crowd, Jesus feeds the 5000.
- The words – Take, Bless, Break, Give – are identical to the format of the Last Supper.