Let’s explore some of the themes we find in the readings for the 5th Sunday of Easter.
1st Reading – Acts of the Apostles 14:21-27
- Paul and Barnabas proclaim the Good News and exhort the people to persevere in faith.
- They appoint elders in the churches they have founded and announce that the door of faith is now opened to the Gentiles.
Psalm – 145:8-13
- “I will praise your name for ever, my king and my God.”
- God is gracious and merciful, and the Lord’s kingdom will endure for all ages.
2nd Reading – Revelation 21:1-5a
- John has a vision of a new heaven and a new earth, along with the holy city of Jerusalem.
- God will wipe away the tears from his people, for the Lord makes all things new.
Gospel – John 13:31-33a,34-35
- God glorifies Jesus, the Son of Man, who will offer his life on the Cross for the salvation of the world.
- Jesus gives a new commandment: Love one another, as the Lord loves us.