Here are some of the themes in the readings for the 2nd Sunday of Easter.
1st Reading – Acts of the Apostles 5:12-16
- The apostles continue the healing ministry of the Lord by performing many signs and wonders.
- Many people are cured of their illnesses, and the number of believers continues to increase.
Psalm – 118:2-4,13-15,22-24
- “Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, his love is everlasting.”
- God performs great deeds, even in the midst of human suffering and tribulation.
2nd Reading – Revelation 1:9-11a,12-13,17-19
- John is caught up in a prophetic vision where he sees the Son of Man.
- He is told not to be afraid, for death has been overcome.
Gospel – John 20:19-31
- “Doubting Thomas” does not believe that the disciples have seen the Risen Lord.
- Once Thomas does see, Jesus gives praise to those who have not seen, but still believe.