Here are some of the central themes that surface in the readings for the 1st Sunday of Lent.
1st Reading – Deuteronomy 26:4-10
- This passage recaps the oppression and subsequent liberation of the people of Israel.
- This recollection inspires the people to give thanks to God for the blessings that they have received.
Psalm – 91:1-2,10-15
- “Be with me Lord, when I am in trouble.”
- We trust in God for the strength we need in difficult and challenging times.
2nd Reading – Romans 10:8-13
- Our salvation is anchored in the conviction that Jesus is Lord.
- This hope has no distinction between race or ethnicity; all who call upon the Lord will be saved.
Gospel – Luke 4:1-13
- Every year the 1st Sunday of Lent features the temptation of Christ by the devil.
- Jesus responds to each of the three temptations with words of Scripture.