Here are some of the themes in the readings for the 7th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – 1st Samuel 26:2,7-9,12-13,22-23
- While trying to kill David, Saul is asleep and unattended when David comes upon him.
- David spares Saul’s life, offering clear proof of his mercy.
Psalm – 103:1-4,8,10,12-13
- “The Lord is kind and merciful.”
- God, who is merciful and gracious, has compassion on us and pardons all our sins.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 15:45-49
- Paul contrasts the first man, Adam, with Jesus (the last Adam) to highlight the natural and the spiritual.
- By becoming like us, Christ unites our nature to his and restores what was lost by sin.
Gospel – Luke 6:27-38
- The “Golden Rule” (Do to others as you would have them do to you) is highlighted in this passage in a number of ways: love one’s enemies, share or lend with those in need, stop judging, forgive one another.
- “For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”
Mass Readings – 7th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply