Let’s examine some of the themes that surface in the readings for the 6th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Jeremiah 17:5-8
- Cursed is the one who trusts in human beings.
- Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.
Psalm – 1:1-4,6
- “Blessed are they who hope in the Lord.”
- We are blessed when we avoid sin and cultivate a life of faith in God.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 15:12,16-20
- Paul affirms the resurrection of Jesus Christ, which is a central truth to our faith.
- Without the resurrection our faith is in vain and we are still in our sins.
Gospel – Luke 6:17,20-26
- This is the “Sermon on the Plain” (Luke’s version of the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew’s Gospel.)
- Note the contrast of the “blessings” and the “woes” in the teaching of Jesus.