Let’s explore some of the themes that surface in the readings for the 4th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Jeremiah 1:4-5,17-19
- God has known Jeremiah from the womb and appointed him to be a prophet to the nations.
- Jeremiah will need to call upon the Lord for help, for the people will not like the message!
Psalm – 71:1-6,15,17
- “I will sing of your salvation.”
- The Lord is our refuge, rock and strength…the one in whom we place our hope in times of trial.
2nd Reading – 1st Corinthians 12:31-13:13
- Without love we are nothing.
- Paul goes on to describe how love is essential for the life of faith.
Gospel – Luke 4:21-30
- The people are amazed at the words of Jesus, but they have doubts about “the son of Joseph.”
- This doubt leads to violent rejection and an attempt to cause the Lord physical harm.
Mass Readings – 4th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply