Here are some key themes for the readings of the Epiphany of the Lord.
1st Reading – Isaiah 60:1-6
- Amid the darkness of the world, the light shines upon the people.
- God is the source of this light, and by it we see the Lord’s glory.
Psalm – 72:1-2,7-8,10-13
- “Lord, every nation on earth will adore you.”
- God is the source of justice, and the Lord will rescue the poor and have pity on the lowly.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 3:2-3a,5-6
- Jesus Christ is God’s revelation to the world.
- This revelation is now universal – for both Jews and Gentiles alike.
Gospel – Matthew 2:1-12
- The Magi travel to Jerusalem and ask, “Where is the newborn king?”
- King Herod calls the Magi secretly and sends them to Bethlehem to find him.
- The Magi follow the star and greet the infant Jesus with joy.