Let’s explore some of the themes we see in the readings for the 3rd Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Zephaniah 3:14-18a
- The people shout for joy and exult at the power of God who turns away their enemies.
- God is in the midst of the people and they are no longer afraid.
Response – Isaiah 12:2-3,4b-6
- “Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.”
- We are confident and unafraid for our strength and courage is the Lord.
2nd Reading – Philippians 4:4-7
- We rejoice in the Lord and have no anxiety; rather we pray with thanksgiving as we make our petitions known to God.
- The peace of God guards our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Gospel – Luke 3:10-18
- John the Baptist gives advice and direction to the people.
- John’s preaching prepares the people for the coming of Jesus.
Mass Readings – 3rd Sunday of Advent
Leave a Reply