Here’s a quick look at the themes for the readings for the 2nd Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Baruch 5:1-9
- The prophet encourages the people to take off the robe of mourning and misery and put on the splendor of glory from God.
- God has commanded; he is leading the people in joy and bringing them back in glory.
- “The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy.”
- The people who sow in tears shall reap rejoicing.
2nd Reading – Philippians 1:4-6,8-11
- Paul confidently prays with joy for the people that they will continue their good work until the day of Christ Jesus.
- This good work includes love, knowledge, discernment, purity and the fruit of righteousness.
Gospel – Luke 3:1-6
- Luke sets the context of John the Baptist with the names of history, such as Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate and the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas.
- John’s ministry is understood in light of the words of Isaiah…prepare the way of the Lord!