Here are some of the central themes in the readings for the 33rd Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Daniel 12:1-3
- Michael the great prince and guardian of the people shall arise.
- During this time of upheaval there will be an accounting for the good and the bad.
Psalm – 16:5,8-11
- “You are my inheritance, O Lord!”
- We rejoice in the Lord who does not abandon us, but shows us the path to life.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 10:11-14,18
- Jesus Christ offers one sacrifice for sins and takes his place at the right hand of God.
- Compared with the sacrifice of the Levitical priests, Christ’s perfect offering makes possible our forgiveness.
Gospel – Mark 13:24-32
- Jesus teaches about the end times where there will be tribulation and judgment.
- The Lord uses the example of a fig tree to teach the disciples how to read the sign of the times.