Here are some of the key themes in readings for the 24th Week of the Year.
1st Reading – Isaiah 50:5-9a
- The prophet physically suffers from the abuse of others.
- God is a source of help and strength in time of trial.
Psalm – 116:1-6,8-9
- “I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.”
- The Lord strengthens us in our moments of distress and sorrow when we call for help.
2nd Reading – James 2:14-18
- Faith in God without works is dead.
- Rather, the works that we do which give witness to our faith in God.
- Christ asks the disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” and Peter gets it right when he answers, “You are the Christ.”
- After Christ explains that he will suffer and be killed, the Lord rebukes Peter for not thinking like God.
- Jesus teaches, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.”