Here some of the key themes that surface in the readings for the 21st Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Joshua 24:1-2a,15-17,18b
- Joshua calls upon the people to make a choice…who will they serve?
- The people affirm their faith in God, who led their fathers out of the land of Egypt.
Psalm – 34:2-3,16-21
- “Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.”
- God delivers the just person from distress, trouble and trials.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 5:21-32
- The relationship between husband and wife takes on spiritual dimensions, far beyond the household code of authority.
- Marriage, with its interdependent relationship of love, reveals the greater mystery of the relationship between Christ and the Church.
Gospel – John 6:60-69
- Jesus persists in his teaching of the “Bread of Life” discourse, even as the disciples are murmuring.
- Many disciples separate from Jesus and return to their former way of life.
- The Twelve remain with Jesus as Peter testifies that the Lord has “the words of eternal life.”
Mass Readings – 21st Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply