Here are some of the main themes present in the readings for the 19th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – 1 Kings 19:4-8
- Elijah is hungry in the wilderness and is fed by the angel of God.
- Elijah’s food is meant to strengthen him for his journey.
Psalm – 34:2-9
- “Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.”
- We give praise and glory to God who saves us from distress.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 4:30-5:2
- We are imitators of God as beloved children and live in love.
- We cast out vices and we forgive one another as God has forgiven us.
Gospel – John 6:41-51
- Continuing with the “Bread of Life” discourse from last week, Jesus addresses those who are murmuring.
- Christ reaffirms that he is the living bread; whoever eats this bread will live forever.
Mass Readings – 19th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply