Here are some of the main themes in the readings on this 16th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Jeremiah 23:1-6
- Woe to the shepherds that mislead and scatter the flock.
- God will appoint shepherds who will protect the flock, and none shall be missing.
Psalm – 23:1-6
- “The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.”
- God guides, protects and leads us to the Lord’s house, our final dwelling.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 2:13-18
- Christ is our lasting peace, reconciling us to God through the Cross.
- We are no longer far off, but have now drawn near through the blood of Christ.
Gospel – Mark 6:30-34
- Having reported all that they have done, Christ invites the apostles to come away and rest.
- Crowds follow Jesus, and he takes pity on them…for they were like sheep without a shepherd.
Mass Readings – 16th Sunday of the Year
Leave a Reply