Here are some of the themes that surface in the readings for the 14th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Ezekiel 2:2-5
- Ezekiel is sent by God as a prophet to a people who have rebelled in the past.
- Whether they heed or resist, they will know that a prophet has been sent among them.
Psalm – 123: 1-4
- “Our eyes are fixed on the Lord, pleading for his mercy.”
- The Psalmist cries out to God on behalf of the people who have experienced mockery and contempt.
2nd Reading – 2nd Corinthians 12:7-10
- Paul acknowledges his weaknesses as an opportunity to rely on Christ.
- In Christ we have the strength we need to face the hardships and persecutions of this world.
Gospel – Mark 6:1-6
- Jesus is rejected in Nazareth as the people take offense at him.
- Christ is amazed at their lack of faith, and does no mighty deeds there.