Let’s take a look at some of the key themes that surface in the readings for this 17th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – 2nd Kings 4:42-44
- Chapters 4-6 feature some miracles performed by the prophet Elisha.
- In this passage, the people have more than enough to eat from 20 barley loaves.
Responsorial Psalm – 145:10-11,15-18
- “The hand of the Lord feeds us; he answers all our needs.”
- God provides for the needs of the people.
2nd Reading – Ephesians 4:1-6
- We are urged to live in a virtuous manner of life, worthy of the call we have received.
- We seek to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace.
Gospel – John 6:1-15
- Jesus meets the physical needs of the people who have been listening to him.
- Upon the blessing of Jesus, the five loaves and two fish are more than enough for the 5000 people.