Here are some of the major themes in the readings for the 13th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Wisdom 1:13-15; 2:23-24
- God creates a world filled with good and wholesome things, including humanity.
- Through the envy of the devil, death enters the world.
- “I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.”
- We rejoice over the saving power of God in our times of distress.
2nd Reading – 2nd Corinthians 8:7,9,13-15
- Chapter 8 in this letter pertains to a special collection Paul is taking for the Church in Jerusalem.
- Out of our abundance we supply the needs of those less fortunate.
Gospel – Mark 5:21-43 (long version)
- There are two miracles here: 1. Jairus’ daughter and 2. the woman with the hemorrhage.
- Christ’s healing power is connected to the faith of those present.