Here are some of the major themes that surface in the readings on this 12th Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Job 38:1,8-11
- God speaks to Job in the midst of a storm, revealing that the Almighty is transcendent and above any human criteria of judgment.
- This passage focuses on the act of creation (as contrasted with Job, who is a mortal creature.)
Psalm 107: 23-26,28-31
- “Give thanks to the Lord, his love is everlasting.”
- This part of the Psalm pertains to those who have been rescued from a storm at sea.
2nd Reading – 2nd Corinthians 5:14-17
- Once we understand the love of Jesus on the Cross, we are moved to love one another.
- Our sincere love for God is a selfless love; we no longer live for ourselves, but for the Lord.
Gospel – Mark 4:35-41
- During a storm on the Sea of Galilee, the disciples are terrified and wake up Jesus.
- The Lord stills the storm and exhorts them to grow in faith.