Study: Consider a profound moment when you felt God’s presence. What made this possible?
Pray: Are you feeling drawn toward a certain activity or task? Ask the Lord for guidance.
Serve: What types of service do you find most rewarding? How does helping others lead you to Christ?
Mass Readings – 16th Sunday of the Year
Here’s a quick overview of the readings this week:
- 1st Reading – Abraham recognizes the Lord in the three visitors
- Psalm – “who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord”
- 2nd Reading – Through suffering we participate in the life of Christ
- Gospel – Martha & Mary
One way to reflect on these verses is to see how the Lord meets us in the pattern of daily life. Consider:
- Hospitality – serving others
- Justice – standing up for what is right, true, and good
- Suffering – caring for those in need, and bearing our own pain as well
- Listening – pausing from our labors to hear the Lord in our lives
We understand that our relationship with God touches multiple aspects of our lives, such as prayer, sacraments, relationships, work, and recreation. The invitation today encourages us to see with our hearts how the Lord is present to us in the current moment.
Does it mean that we serve with a joyful heart? That we swiftly respond to injustice? That we compassionately care for others? That we stop and “smell the roses” in moments of rest & renewal, beauty & blessing? In all these ways we are led back to the Lord, recognizing the gifts God gives us with a grateful heart.
How is God present in your life right now? May our response bring us closer to Christ and one another.
Note: This post was first published on July 11, 2016.
Leave a Reply