Study: Have you ever gotten something you wished for? In hindsight, was it what you really wanted or needed?
Pray: What graces or virtues do you need in your life right now? Ask the Lord with boldness and confidence!
Serve: How is the Lord leading you to offer your life today? How can you fulfill God’s command to serve others?
Here’s a quick review:
- 1st Reading – Solomon asks God for wisdom and understanding
- Psalm – “Lord, I love your commands.”
- 2nd Reading – All things, good and bad, work for good for those who love God
- Gospel – When you find the pearl of great price, you sell everything you have to acquire it
If the Lord would grant you one request, what would you ask for? We can learn a lot about ourselves by what we seek, and sometimes we discover when we get it that it might not have truly been the best thing. Yet, it is the desire in our hearts, however, that tells us if we are on the right track.
Solomon asked to be wise and understanding…a wonderful response!
Jesus uses the parable of the pearl to remind us that there are some things in life so precious that other wishes and requests pale in comparison. With this in mind, here are a couple of thoughts to consider:
- What is it you often wish for?
- Are there any blessings in your life that you might be taking for granted?
- Do you have your priorities organized? Are the most important things getting your time, effort and attention?
God will take the sum of our lives – good and bad – and bless it with grace. As we seek the Lord today, may we bring our hearts and offer ourselves….so that our response will draw us closer to Jesus Christ and one another.
Archive of Fr. Andrew’s Podcasts