Here are some of the themes for the readings for the 1st Sunday of Advent.
1st Reading – Jeremiah 33:14-16
- The days are coming when the Lord will fulfill the promise to the house of Israel
- The Lord will bring justice through the shoot of David.
Psalm – 25:4-5,8-9,10,14
- “To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.”
- The psalmist invites the people to seek the Lord, who offers kindness and goodness.
2nd Reading – 1st Thessalonians 3:12-4:2
- Paul blesses the people with an increase in love for one another.
- He then exhorts the people to conduct themselves in a manner pleasing to God.
Gospel – Luke 21:25-28,34-35
- Jesus tells his disciples about the end times and encourages them to be vigilant at all times.
- The Lord further reminds the disciples to pray that they have strength to face their tribulations.