Here are some of the major themes running through the readings for this 23rd Sunday of the Year.
1st Reading – Isaiah 35:4-7a
- Be strong! Fear not! God comes with power and authority to save.
- People will be healed and nature itself will be renewed.
Psalm – 146:7-10
- “Praise the Lord, my soul!”
- God heals the sick and raises up the lowly.
2nd Reading – James 2:1-5
- Exhortation to show no partiality, especially based on wealth or power.
- The example used speaks just as loudly today!
Gospel – Mark 7:31-37
- People bring a deaf man with a speech impediment to Jesus.
- The Lord heals the man, and those who witness the miracle proclaim it far and wide.