On this feast of the Body and Blood of the Christ (Corpus Christi), let’s take a look at some of the themes that surface in the readings.
1st Reading – Exodus 24:3-8
- The people affirm that they will “do everything that the Lord has told us.”
- Moses sprinkles the people with the blood of the sacrifice to show their covenant with God.
Psalm – 116:12-13,15-16,17-18
- “I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.”
- We are the Lord’s servants, and we make our vows to God.
2nd Reading – Hebrews 9:11-15
- Jesus Christ offers his blood as the sacrifice that cleanses us.
- Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, made possible by his saving death.
Gospel – Mark 14:12-16,22-26
- Jesus directs his disciples to prepare the Passover meal.
- Jesus offers his Body and Blood as a new covenant.